Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dad's Home

Dad got home this past Friday afternoon. So good to see him. He can walk (with a walker) and walk up stairs. He's doing so well!

"I can't believe how hard rehab is," said dad. "And just because I'm home, I think I'm all better... no way! I almost fell twice today trying to get up the stairs like I used to."

It seems like its been such a long journey... but its only really been 6 months since the surgery. In the grand scheme of life, its not that long at all.

One thing dad was dying to do when he got home was listen to his blues music and eat ice cream. I offered to take him out for some Dairy Queen. He jumped at the opportunity. We hopped in the car and dad instantly went for the CD player and threw on his blues. OH MY! My ears nearly bled. I'm sure you could hear us coming from a few blocks away. Dad was so happy! Singin' along, totally out of key... but he was in his happy place.

At this point in dad's recovery, his mind and his spirit have finally been restored. His body still needs a lot of work. My dad has over 20 bottles of pills. 20! That's insane. But he should be down to half that in a few months.

Dad's goal is to be home permanently by mid-June. Very exciting.

Thanks God for strengthening my dad and our family. Sometimes your plan is hard to see... but I pray this situation will remain forever in my life as evidence of your faithfulness to us.

3 comments:

cindy said...

it was wonderful to see Brian last saturday, he was able to come in to the store and visit for a few minutes(way too short, but we understand)and check out what we have all been doing. I think it put his mind at ease a little to know that everything is ok at this end. Keep up the hard work Brian....we all love you.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I was checking out the Artistic Design Website to make note of your new address before heading out, and much to my surprise, I found this blog.

Josh, what a wonderful selfless gift from a loving and courageous son to give to his dad. Your story and pictures made me cry. Especially the one where your dad is praying for you from his hospital bed. That was so touching. So much love and faith.

My history with your dad comes from when I was taught by his dad, Russel at the old store in 1982. I met your dad then. His sister taught me a few times when Russel was going through a bout of cancer. I haven't been to the store in a while.

Would you please convey to Brian my heartfelt best wishes for continued good recovery.

Sending lots and lots of healing prayers and comforting thoughts your way. You have an amazing family. There is so much love, caring and closeness. Hugs

Louise Lafontaine,
(The Gingerbread Lady)

Anonymous said...

Any updates on him being at home?