Sunday, October 19, 2008

Transplant status update

As mentioned before, my dad is waiting for the results of an ultrasound before he's given the official notice that he is on the transplant list. Once he is on the transplant list, he'll wait for a call to go into surgery. That could happen at any point a liver becomes available.

I start my interviews and testing sometime in the next two weeks. My first interview hasn't been confirmed yet. I have to wait until my dad is officially on the transplant list before I can start my interviews. If I try to start before hand, I'll be put through a general interviewing process (with a group of other candidates) - more like an information session.

Mom brought home a massive packet for me to read all about "The Living Donor". I need to read the whole thing.

Apparently, it will take 8 weeks of tests and interviews before I'm confirmed as an eligible donor. If by that time my dad still needs a liver (he didn't already get one from a deceased donor), as soon as I'm confirmed, my dad and I will go into surgery.

What are the chances a liver will become available during the 8 weeks Josh is testing? Where is Brian on the transplant list?

Glad you asked! I have no idea.

So - it looks like we still have a long road ahead of us. Its likely that my dad will get sick again in the next 8 weeks and end up couped up in the hospital once again.

Until then, my mom says dad is doing very well! He's been walking all over the house, up and down the stairs and eating a ton of food! None of that was possible 8 days ago.

Thank you God so much that your blessing dad with some much needed rest and relaxation! I pray that during this time, you'd renew his faith in your promise - your promise that you'll take great care of him and he'll be a better man for it.

No comments: