Thursday, August 28, 2008

Walk by the river

I have got to be the worst at keeping track of things. I have lost my keys TWICE in one week. And we're not talking kinda lost. We're talking 2-3 days of searching each time. The first time, my keys somehow made it into the laundry bin. The second time, I found them in my camcorder case in the nether-regions of my office. In both cases - I have no idea how they got there. It's so embarrassing! I feel so dumb.

It's even worse when your dying dad wants to go for a nice walk by the river and you can't find your keys! Frig! What an awesome opportunity to spend some quality time with dad - and I can't find my keys?!?! I called him back to let him know the situation to which he replied, "Ok - I'll look to see if I have any keys here and call you back." I was expecting a little jab from my dad about how I lost my keys twice in one week... but he hasn't been joking to much lately.

Long story short, I found my keys and my dad and I headed out for the Chapman Mills Conservation walk. Beautiful walk - one of the best in the city. There are points in the trail that you forget your in Ottawa. Feels like a cottage.

On the way, my dad told me about some new symptoms he's been experiencing lately - loss of balance and confusion.

He told me a story about how he was supposed to go to Winners and Zellers. My mom drove him as he doesn't feel comfortable driving anymore. He walked into one of the stores and asked himself, when did Winner's get so big? He shrugged it off and continued towards his desired department. Then suddenly he felt lost - like he couldn't find his way out. Then he thought to himself, the exit's would be where the windows are - so I'll just look for windows. My dad searched for the windows, found them, then the exit. The entire time, he was in Zellers, not Winners.

He told me a few other stories - all similar. While we were walking, it was obvious that my dad was having trouble keeping his balance. Every 30-40 steps, he would stumble - just a little - but consistently.

Things seem to be getting worse. And he's loosing more weight - if that's even possible.

I'd love to share more, but I'm leaving in 3min for Gaspe, QC for Labor Day weekend. Should be good - though I told my dad I was reluctant to go as I'm afraid something is going to happen if I leave. My papa (dad's dad) passed away while I was in Florida with my wife a few years ago. I kinda feel like that's my luck.

I loved our walk dad - and I'm sorry I didn't say all the things that were on my mind that day. But you know I love you. I haven't given up on you before - and I'm sure as hell not going to start now!

God - thanks so much for taking care of my dad through all this. Again, thank you that you're in control and that your plans are so much bigger than my own.

2 comments:

lindsey said...

We love you Mr. B. You all are in our prayers daily.
Love Lindsey and Matt

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh.....lets get an update out on the kid!!! I dropped him off some homemade oatmeal-raisin cookies yesterday and he was VERY tired. He was being spoiled by Becky and your mom.

U.Paul