Saturday, December 6, 2008

Blessing of the tree

Every year around this time, Bethel produces a phenomenal Christmas show called ‘The Gift of Christmas’ (http://giftofchristmas.ca). And every year, I’m heavily involved in it. But not this year. When dad’s health started to take a turn for the worst (in September), it became obvious to Chelsea and I, and the leaders of the production, that my involvement this year would have to be limited. Between the hospital visits and family outings, there was no way I was going to be able to honour the commitment level necessary in order to perform in ‘The Tree’. It was such a difficult decision to make. However, I will admit... there was a very small amount of relief. Being involved in the tree takes so much effort. So many practices. To finally have a Christmas season where we weren’t hussling and bussling over the tree seemed, at the time, to be a blessing.

However, as the tree drew closer, Chelsea and I both began to miss the practices – miss all the hardwork and commitment. Its such a great production to be involved in. Not because it’s a good musical, but because it genuinely changes lives. Who doesn’t want to be a part of changing someone’s life for the better?
A few days before the first performance, I got a call from a friend asking if I was interested in being involved in the tree in a very small capacity. I jumped at the opportunity. Chelsea was excited as well.

It was so fantastic to be back at Bethel last night for the first time in a while. The amount of love and encouragement from all our friends was overwhelming. Chelsea and I were so thankful.

Today was amazing. The tree was a blast. Great reunions. But what blew my mind was the incredible generosity of our church family. See, Chelsea and I both had been secretly stressing about how we were going to pay for our stay in Toronto. But we both just figured, ‘God will provide’... and boy did he ever. Today alone, we received all the finances we need in order to stay in Toronto for a week.
God! You are as good! You know our prayers before we pray them! You always provide.

Thank you sooooo much Bethel for all your love, your support and your generosity! Honestly – we’re so overwhelmed.

No comments: